choose a Hosting company check list Posted on July 12th
look for a feature you might want
- Rackspace Cloud Sites enables both Windows and Linux technology
- Quicktime, WMV, or Real streaming servers
- Flash Multi user server
check the TOS
- verify that the content you want to serve is compatible with your host
- how can your services get suspended (SPAM, processes, content)
understand the money back rules
- is there are hidden 12 month commitment
make SURE your domain does not need to be transfered to the host
- this bad, very bad
how much is “overages for bandwidth”?
- and how is it measured
check their documentation
- do searches for things like “client FTP”
- adding an outside IP address to the DNS
- adding Goggle Docs and Apps
- is sending too much mail defined
- if you do email marketing is your blast allowed
what does UNLIMITED mean?
- slashdotted, dugg, reddit’d, boinged, oh my!
- all of them get bad reviews!
- mind the date of the reviews.
go into it with the old college try attitude
- most services are month to month so you could try lots of things out for about $100.
one click installs are okay. in fact we don’t think that one-click installs are all that important. just about every single host will advertise that one-click installations are part of the package. they will let you see how a tool works without the hassle of making a database and running the script to fill it. this makes the WordPress “five minute install” totally possible without having to know anything about gzip, permissions, or making a mySQL database. the problem with “one click” installs have a disadvantage sometimes in that they can’t be modified by you. the script always has to do it for you. this can also limit what templates and plug-ins you can use. you are also at the mercy of your provider to keep their tools up to date.Trackback URL